BRUSSEL SPROUT KRAUT
Preserving your Favorite Fall Food!
1 lb. Brussels sprouts (about 35), trimmed and cut in half through root end
1⁄4 cup packed dill fronds
2 tbsp. whole black peppercorns
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 dried chiles de árbol (substitutions include cayenne peppers and pequin peppers)
4 tbsp. Sea Salt (for very fine grain use 3 tbsp.)
Makes approximately 2 Quarts
Project time: approx. 45 min.
Maturation time: 1 month
- Pack your sprouts, dill, peppercorns, garlic, and chiles into 2 quart jars (or a single 2 quart jar); alternating layers of ingredients.
- Whisk salt and 4 cups water in a bowl until salt is almost dissolved, making a brine.
- Pour the brine over your veggies until they are completely covered.
- Lightly tap jar on counter to release air bubbles and make sure veggies are thoroughly submerged.
- Insert your Ferment’n ceramic weight and push it down into the brine.
- Put your Ferment’n Fermentation airlock on top of the jar, add water into the moat, put the cap in place and secure with the jar ring.
- Wait approximately 1 month for your sprouts to pickle.
- When you like the taste of them, put the regular lid on the jar, store in the fridge and enjoy!